Have you given any thoughts on using RMI or JavaSpaces?

Bhaskar

Keijo Lehto wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently working on implementing a Java server, which (in
nutshell) listens to certain TCP ports, reads input, processes the
data and sends output back to the client depending on how the input
processing went.

Now, instead of reinventing the wheel, I was wondering whether I could
somehow (easily, if possible) use Tomcat to do just that ie. leave all
HTTP stuff away and just simply forward all data to a servlet or
something similar. My goal with this approach would be to be able to
use the robust connection handling, database pooling etc. of Tomcat.

Should this be possible, I'd appreciate any pointers (documentation,
tutorials...) on how to continue.

BR,
Keke

PS. I'd very much be interested in hearing about other robust server
frameworks, too, if that doesn't go too OT. :-)