thanx for ur help
i will go forward in using GZIP for my application.
can you tell me what would be the ideal page (or image or what ever it
may be) size over which we can apply compression, so that we dont
waste resources compressing smaller pages. I think may  be compressing
each and every page will negate the gains that we achieve by
compressing.
Also can you tell me whether it is appropriate to apply compression on
image files (like .gif, . jpeg etc) as some of image formats are
compressed already in themselves.

Regards
Srikanth