If I understand this setup correctly, you would be running one instance of Tomcat for all of your virtual hosts. This has the disadvantage that if one virtual host needs to be restarted, you will need
to restart Tomcat for all of your virtual hosts.

An alternative is to let Apache handle the virtual hosts and run multiple instances of Tomcat -- one instance per virtual host. This requires multiple mod_jk instances, each communicating across a unique port with an instance of Tomcat. Each Tomcat should be deployed to its own home dir w/ its own CATALINA_HOME pointing to that directory and with each Tomcat given its own start/stop.sh script that sets CATALINA_HOME. This is more complex to set up, and I'm not sure how many separate Tomcats this can handle, but it does allow you
to have something like:

http://customer_1.com
http://customer_2.com
http://customer_n.com

and fix customer_n's problem without impacting other customers using the same box. Since I maintain a box with this setup, I can post sample config files if there is interest.

Pete Stevens wrote:

Try reading this,

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/tomcat-vhost.html

It's a receipe for setting up tomcat to do virtual hosting and behave more
like apache with regard to virtual hosts.

Yours,

Pete Stevens