marc ratun wrote:
Hi,

I just read an article about webapp benchmarks [1] and they mentioned that
apache+mod_jk+tomcat is about 30% slower than pure tomcat.

This is sad. Until now I believed that the performance decrease with
apache/mod_jk would be marginal.

Why would that be sad?
30% performance decrease still offers you a 300% performance
increase over CGI or mod_proxy.
Since you decided to use mod_jk that uses AJP protocol for both
binary HTTP and constant connection pool, you have also the load
balancer capabilities that will allow you to either segment or
double your backend application servers. Thus with two backend
servers you will have both speed increase and failover over
a single box implementation.

OTOH if you just wish Apache with all the goodies, but
with Servlet support, then 30% performance decrease is very much
acceptable thought.

If OTOH you don't need legacy Apache modules, use Tomcat 5.5
with Native support that will both outperform any Apache httpd
server (and most others) for both for dynamic and static content.

Regards,
Mladen.