I've tried several IDEs in Linux:

JBuilder -- free version; learning curve too steep w/out docs.  Never sure
what was happening.

Forte IE -- **Powerful** but slow.  Editor so-so.  Couldn't sign jars from
inside IDE.  Petty annoyances, like having to re-add files to JARs when
rebuilding removed them.  Won't remember JAR contents.  Only one project
open at a time.  Can *only* edit Java related files in you project (Want to
check something in that C++ server program you're porting?  Sorry, can't
open it.  Need to see another file?  Add it to package first.).

CodeWarrior -- Plus: Very like the Metrowerks Mac IDE which I cut my teeth
on back when it was Lightspeed C & Pascal.  Multiple projects open at
once.  Edits *any* text file in Mac, DOS, or UNIX format.  Minus: Like the
Mac product! (I'd like a more Linux look & feel.  Leaves ".AppleDouble"
directories everywhere.

SOLUTION:  Ant and the NEdit text editor.  Full control for whatever I want!

At 03:54 4/28/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I just downloaded the trial version for Forte for Java 2.0 Internet
>Edition and it seems like a good servlet development kit because of the
>integrated tomcat server.  I was wondering if anyone was using other IDE's
>for servlet development and if they had any thoughts about what was the
>best IDE and why?
>
>Thanks
>
>Curtis

Thad Humphries                  "If the misery of our poor be caused not
Web Development Manager          by the laws of nature but by our institu-
Phone: 540/675-3015, ext. 225    tions, great is our sin."  Charles Darwin