        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Milt Epstein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Thursday, May 17, 2001 2:18 AM
        To:     Tomcat User Mailing List
LIST *****

        Obviously a lot of people are having trouble unsubscribing from this
        list.  Most likely these people have tried the simple/direct way of
        unsubscribing -- sending email to

          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        -- without success.  That's because that way only works if you send
        the unsubscribe request from the address you are subscribed from.
But
        many people receive/send their email from a different address than
the
        one they originally subscribed from.

        Some people (including me and others) have posted instructions on
how
        to unsubscribe when faced with this situation.  But it's not clear
        that the right people are seeing these messages (I guess you can't
        blame them too much, because they're probably not reading the
messages
        too closely, because the whole point is they want to get off this
        list).  But I'm going to make another attempt to post these
        instructions in the hope that it will help someone.  I'll try to
make
        the subject line such that even those people that are deleting
        everything from the list will stop and notice it (for the people
that
        want to stay on the list, sorry about that :-).

        First of all, you need to find out what address tomcat-user thinks
        you're subscribed from.  To do that, look at the headers of a
message
        from the list, and you'll see something like:

        The Return-Path header line includes the address tomcat-user thinks
        you're subscribed from -- with the "@" changed to a "=" to avoid
        having two "@"'s in the Return-Path.  In this example, that's
        joe=domain.com, which translates to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Once you know that address, you can unsubscribe by sending email to

          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Voila!

        So, if you are having trouble unsubscribing, please give this a try.

        Milt Epstein
        Research Programmer
        Software/Systems Development Group
        Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]