So, just to clarify:

The request arrives, Tomcat processes it and sends it to your servlet.
You do:
        response.setContentType("text/html");
        // commits the response
        response.flushBuffer();
and, while your servlet thinks what it must send next, the browser
resends the response.

Is this the case? What browser is it? Mine (Netscape Communicator 4.7)
does not.

Un saludo,

Alex.