To do this from a program/non-interactive environment, for an
already installed service, edit the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\[ServiceName]\Start.
The value 2 is definitely for Automatic.  I believe that 0 is disabled, 1 is
manual, but I'm not 100% sure of the last two.

        Randy