1) Tomcat won't start as a service if the configuration is invalid.
However, you don't need to worry too much about the start order if the
configuration doesn't change between restarts.

2) You don't need to include it if you have a custom config that
includes the relevant information. Some people prefer to do this.

3) Use the Services control in NT. Set startup type to automatic.