Sorry, this was a major boo boo on my part.
I had JDBC realm turned on for the "standalone" service but not the
"Tomcat-Apache" service.
It all hangs together now.

PS: Though I have described the web application Contexts within the
"standalone" service, I can
still access them when going through the "Tomcat-Apache" service. Is
this normal or should
I really be describing these again with the "Tomcat-Apache" service.

Cheers
-raj