- How the CVS server gets organized is based on preference, in my
experience.  Usually, I've seen a "branch" for each individual project and
then another one for your organization's library of known stable code
(connection mgr, XML utilities maybe, etc)

- When you say that "each developer would get a version", I'm assuming
you're saying each developer would get their own version of CVS which is
true...sort of.  They'd get their own CVS client, but not necessarily their
own CVS repository.  Everyone gets access to a shared CVS repository.

- I disagree that it's bad to have a Tomcat instance on each workstation
(unless your workstations are incredibly underpowered).  Giving each app.
developer their own private development environemnt is common practice.  It
allows me as the developer to play w/ things that may reduce the efficiency
of the entire team.  For instance, say I need to bounce Tomcat alot
throughout the day for whatever reason.  If I do this, people who are
testing their changes may be constantly interrupted by me bouncing Tomcat.

The challenge to this development paradigm is that creating a new developer
environment is always a hassle (setting up Tomcat, db connections, db
layout, etc so that it's perfectly aligned to the staging/production
environment).  Keeping everyone's code in sync can be a challenge as
well...Ant can come in handy in this situation.

- Depending on how it's setup, I would recommend against having the
webserver automatically deploy the most recent code in CVS.  The process, to
me, just seems too error prone.  There could be exceptions based on the
environment, but in general I believe that code should only find it's way to
the production environment when it's been specifically requested by the
appropriate person/people.

- Tomcat could be a great tool for testing.  I'd recommend for a Staging and
separate Production environment.  A Production environment is where the code
sits when it's in day-to-day use.  A Staging environment is (or at least
should be) identical to your Production environment, but is specifically
intended for testing purposes - not daily usage.

I may get flamed for this, but if you're organization is small you may want
to consider M$'s Sourcesafe.  It's concepts may be a little bit easier to
adapt to if you have no experience w/ CVS.  CVS is a great and powerful
tool, but if you have no experience w/ it, you could run into some serious
migration problems.