I have actually a Apache / Tomcat Environnement in production for our Intranet
and it works well.
For your problem you need to include the file mod_jk.conf-auto at the end of
your Apache configuration (this file is updated by your tomcat server at the
start of the tomcat service). It is this file wich will give filters for Apache
(When and how he must let Tomcat taking the request). My tomcat Apache work
perfectly except for not debugged Servlets :-).