I'm attempting to port a working application to Tomcat 4.0.1 and hit a
problem with SAX parsing.  When this line of code is executed

          SAXParserFactory factory = SAXParserFactory.newInstance();

I got a ClassCastException error:

    java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.crimson.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl
         at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:148)

I looked at the Tomcat archives and tried what the Tomcat documentation
says to do, eg. move xerces.jar into my WEB-INF directory or into the
$CATALINA_HOME/lib directory and move crimson.jar and jaxp.jar out.
Documentation located at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html#Tomc
at%204%20and%20XML%20Parsers   After doing that however, I get the same
error but from xerces (org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl) vs.
crimson.

Has someone slayed this dragon before?  If so, any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Mark