Its not only possible, its a blessing.  The number of problems from
CLASSPATH problems that were posted on this list has dropped to almost
nothing.

You have three options:
        1.  Place the Driver's jar file (or on UNIX use a symbolic link) in
your webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory for JAR Files WEB-INF/classes for plain
class files.
        2.  Place the Driver's jar file in TOMCAT_HOME/lib/apps if the JAR
file needs to be shared by all web apps
        3.  Modify the tomcat.sh/.bat file in the TOMCAT_HOME/bin directory.
NOTE:  This method is unsupported and if you do it, you will mess things up,
especially since you had to ask this question.

        Randy