Thanks Ralph Einfeldt - your post was helpful. So after I run the
<netstat -a> command I get a table that displays the following relevant
information:

Protocol: TCP
Local Address: billsaur:1651
Foreign Address: billsaur:8005
State: TIME_WAIT

The port 8005 is the Tomcat default shutdown port and it is occupied in a
TIME_WAIT state - this appears to be the reason behind the
LifecycleException and JVM_Bind problem I'm experiencing.  I have run the
shutdown.bat file and it is apparently not working.  Any ideas on what's
going on and how to get it to shutdown properly and get the port out of the
TIME_WAIT state?

Bill Saur
Spokane, WA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]