All:

I solved the problem I was having and I wanted to post the solution in case
others may learn from this.  Tomcat was not shutting down properly on my
computer because of the Microsoft Instant Messaging program that typically
runs in my system tray.  Until I exited the IM program the connection was
held open.

I want to thank Anton Brazhnyk, Oliver Lauer, and Ralph Einfeldt for
providing me with the information I needed to gain insight into the problem.
It was nice of you to take the time to help.

So my first experience with the Tomcat Users Mailing List has been good...

Bill Saur
Spokane, WA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]