The real problem with Virus scanners as an open source project is
two fold:
        1.  The virus writers can look at the source code and determine new
patterns that will be outside of the scanner's view (granted the script
kiddies won't be able to do this, but the more advanced virus writers would)
        2.  All of the existing virus developers have staffs and devote
resources to finding viruses before they become a problem.  In an open
source project a consistent effort to accomplish this would be difficult if
not impossible, making usage risky.  (Is it better to have a false sense of
hope or no sense of hope at all?)

        Randy