I have found that it does not pick up changes to WEB-INF/classes,
though it does recognise changes to WEB-INF/lib. My solution is to
update the jar (jar -uvf) whenever I change a class. My build script
(run from WEB-INF/src dev directory) goes something like this:

#!/bin/bash

export
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:.:/usr/local/catalina/classes/:/usr/local/j2sdkee1.2.1/lib/j2ee.jar

echo $CLASSPATH

FILE=$1
if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    echo "building all java files"
    FILE="*"
fi

find . -name "$FILE.java" -exec javac {} \; -print

find . -name "$FILE.class" -exec jar -uvf ../lib/myWebapp.jar {} \;