hi, Anja,

i don't think tomcat will recompile automatically.

you can compile changed java file by yourself and put
the class file under WEB-INF/classes. it should work.

one more thing, if you set ReloadInterceptor
fullReload="true", you don't need to restart tomcat.
it will reload both context and servlets
automatically.

hope it helps,

Shannon