Hello everyone,

    Setting up Tomcat is NO easy project.  I've been struggling for
about a week and a half to get tomcat to read a special
servlet/application/I really don't know what to call it.
 (Unfortunately, that's my biggest problem, I'm very unfamiliar with
things I'm playing around with right now.)

    Ok, in simplest terms possible here's the deal.  I'm trying to get a
working model of something my company calls a portal.  Basically, it's
nothing more than a product that will allow a person to use *.jsp
rendered web pages to access/control/manipulate data contained withing
Oracle databases.  This is the long term.  Right now, I need to get the
application working to allow someone to log in.  The database which
controls user access is NOT part of Oracle.  It is a PostgreSQL database.

    How, exactly, do I setup the JDBC stuff to interact with PostgreSQL?
 I've been reading through the users guide, the paper on server.xml and
the FAQ.  The information is comprehensive, I do think lacking in some
parts, but none-the-less comprehensive.  (I do not mean to start flame
wars or anything else.  However, for example, I downloaded and installed
tomcat 3.3a via rpm for Red Hat Linux, the rpm was made by tomcat
developers not red hat.  After installing, I'm reading through the users
guide and there are several directories meantioned that DO NOT exist.
 Such as, %TOMCAT_HOME/bin and many others.  This is what I mean by
lacking.)

    How exactly am I going to go about setting up the database
connectivity?  From what I've read, I've got to configure some kind of a
JDBC Realm in the server.xml, but how exactly.  I did try, following the
syntax example given in one of the user guide documents, but after
restarting tomcat, tomcat was broken.  Absolutely, nothing was being
served up.  I did make syntax substitutions to allow for my database vs.
the database given in the example, and yes I'm absolutely open to the
fact that my syntax was wrong.  Basically, what needs to be done?  I'm
really nearing the end of my rope on this one.

Andy