On 03/04/2002 04:18 PM, Andrew Falanga wrote:

>Hello everyone,

Hi,

>    Setting up Tomcat is NO easy project.  I've been struggling for
>about a week and a half to get tomcat to read a special
>servlet/application/I really don't know what to call it.
> (Unfortunately, that's my biggest problem, I'm very unfamiliar with
>things I'm playing around with right now.)

Setting up Tomcat is a breeze, but not for somebody who doesn't know the
difference between a servlet and an application.

>    Ok, in simplest terms possible here's the deal.  I'm trying to get a
>working model of something my company calls a portal.  Basically, it's
>nothing more than a product that will allow a person to use *.jsp
>rendered web pages to access/control/manipulate data contained withing
>Oracle databases.  This is the long term.  Right now, I need to get the
>application working to allow someone to log in.  The database which
>controls user access is NOT part of Oracle.  It is a PostgreSQL database.

Designing and implementing that "nothing more than a product" is what
many of us have gone through 4 years of university and hundreds of books
and white papers to learn to do.

>    How, exactly, do I setup the JDBC stuff to interact with PostgreSQL?
> I've been reading through the users guide, the paper on server.xml and
>the FAQ.  The information is comprehensive, I do think lacking in some
>parts, but none-the-less comprehensive.  (I do not mean to start flame
>wars or anything else.  However, for example, I downloaded and installed
>tomcat 3.3a via rpm for Red Hat Linux, the rpm was made by tomcat
>developers not red hat.  After installing, I'm reading through the users
>guide and there are several directories meantioned that DO NOT exist.
> Such as, %TOMCAT_HOME/bin and many others.  This is what I mean by
>lacking.)

If you don't understand that $TOMCAT_HOME (or %TOMCAT_HOME%, if you're
on WIndows) refers to the environment variable TOMCAT_HOME you were
supposed to create as part of installation, I suggest you go back and
first learn a few basics of the operating system you're working on (mail
headers indicate Linux).

>    How exactly am I going to go about setting up the database
>connectivity?  From what I've read, I've got to configure some kind of a
>JDBC Realm in the server.xml, but how exactly.  I did try, following the
>syntax example given in one of the user guide documents, but after
>restarting tomcat, tomcat was broken.  Absolutely, nothing was being
>served up.  I did make syntax substitutions to allow for my database vs.
>the database given in the example, and yes I'm absolutely open to the
>fact that my syntax was wrong.  Basically, what needs to be done?  I'm
>really nearing the end of my rope on this one.

For basic database connectivity you don't need JDBC realm, all you need
is a JDBC driver for the RDBMS you're working with (PostgreSQL or
Oracle) and use the "regular" JDBC syntax in either JSPs or servlets.
 You can also use JDBC taglib, but you still need the driver.  If this
paragraph doesn't make sense, I suggest you stay away from Tomcat until
you learn the basics of Java and J2EE programming.

>Andy

Emir.