I have an application that I have developed on my local box using
tomcat-4.0.3.  The app works fine and in the server.xml file, I have not
specified the delegate attribute.

<Loader checkInterval="1"
   className="org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader"/>

I must deploy the app to another version of catalina that is near HEAD
of cvs.  When doing so I get the following error:

java.lang.LinkageError: loader constraints violated when linking
org/xml/sax/EntityResolver class
    at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:298)
    at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:246)

I can get this error to go away by specifying delegate="true".  However
this has other unacceptable consequences.  Such as commons-logging using
log4j as the backend, now has all webapps logging to the same file or
duplicating all log entries in each webapps log files.

In both cases dom4j-1.3 and xerces-1.4.4 exist in WEB-INF/lib.  I have
also made sure the xerces version in common/lib is 1.4.4 as well.  I
have tried removing xerces from the WEB-INF/lib, but that makes no
difference.

Hopefully, there is an obvious fix to remove the linkage error without
setting delegate="true", but if not does anyone have some insight on the
problem with commons-logging and log4j existing in the common/lib
classloader?

And another detail:

The my local box (where the app works) has:

java version "1.3.1_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_02-b02)

The box where it is not working (unless delegate=true) has

java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS, mixed mode)

john mcnally