On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 11:23:44PM -0400, Jeffrey Bonevich wrote:
> Simon Stewart wrote:
>
> >Having looked through the mailing list archives, this looks like a
> >popular subject, and I think that I've almost got it cracked. Almost.
> >
> >After following the advice in
> >
> >http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg51557.html
> >
> >I just thought that people might like to know that the location of
> >libwebapp.so should be ${APACHE2}/lib and not modules.
>
> For the purest approach, yes, but it really matters not (at least for my
> apache install -- 2.0.35, compiled from source, DSO-style, etc.).  Did
> it actually matter for you (i.e. you got errors when it was in modules
> as opposed to lib)?

Afraid so:

mite:/usr/local/apache-2# cd /usr/local/apache-2/
mite:/usr/local/apache-2# mv lib/libwebapp.so modules
mite:/usr/local/apache-2# ./bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 218 of /usr/local/apache-2/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache-2/modules/mod_webapp.so into server: libwebapp.so:
./bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
mite:/usr/local/apache-2# mv modules/libwebapp.so lib/
mite:/usr/local/apache-2# ./bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 221 of /usr/local/apache-2/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid virtual host name
./bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
mite:/usr/local/apache-2#

This after starting tomcat first.

> >Apache now passes a configtest with just the webapp module (without
> >any WebApp* declarations) loaded but when I add the entries:
> >
> >LoadModule webapp_module   modules/mod_webapp.so
> >WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
> >WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
> >
> >(lifted from the default server.xml file) I get:
> >
> >root@mite:/usr/local/apache-2# ./bin/apachectl configtest
> >Syntax error on line 221 of /usr/local/apache-2/conf/httpd.conf:
> >Invalid virtual host name
> >
> >Where line 221 refers to the "WebAppDeploy" line. I'm perplexed,
> >everything else looks good. Could anyone offer some suggestions,
> >please?
>

> And the WebApp* directives themselves were in the main configs and not
> in any VirtualHost subsection?  If in a VirtualHost section, try just
> placing them in the main configs and get rid of the vhost config
> subsection...I found this to work for me.  If it is already in the main
> configs, are their other vhost subsections you already have for other
> things?  Try commenting out all vhost configs and see if it works now.
> Long shot, I know, but...

Okay, I've set the ServerName to be "localhost:80", because I've read
that the name resolution of the server can cause trouble. The port is
specified because otherwise I get an error from webapp moaning about
the port being bad.

There are no VirtualHost sections at all and so I've not set the
NameVirtualHost. Doing so produces the same error. I'm using the
worker MPM. The WebApp* directives are all in the main body of the
config, immediately under the LoadModule directive.

It's an interesting problem, but one that's starting to get a little
tiresome. If I could persuade mod_jk2 to work, I'd do that, but I've
had no luck there, either. Ho hum.

None of the logs in the tomcat log directory get any larger when I
start apache, so it doesn't look as if the webapp module even attempts
to connect to tomcat, and there are no new entires in any of tha
apache logs either. Is there some way to get some verbose output out
of the module and find out what it thinks it's playing at?

I've even edited the /etc/hosts file so that "localhost" is the only
name for this machine and restarted both tomcat and then apache with
no luck.

Cheers,

Simon

--
Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done