Having looked through the mailing list archives, this looks like a
popular subject, and I think that I've almost got it cracked. Almost.

After following the advice in

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg51557.html

I just thought that people might like to know that the location of
libwebapp.so should be ${APACHE2}/lib and not modules.

Apache now passes a configtest with just the webapp module (without
any WebApp* declarations) loaded but when I add the entries:

LoadModule webapp_module   modules/mod_webapp.so
WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/

(lifted from the default server.xml file) I get:

root@mite:/usr/local/apache-2# ./bin/apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 221 of /usr/local/apache-2/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid virtual host name

Where line 221 refers to the "WebAppDeploy" line. I'm perplexed,
everything else looks good. Could anyone offer some suggestions,
please?

FWIW, my system config:

Debian unstable, linux 2.4.18, JDK 1.4.0, Apache 2.0.35, web app
compiled from the source suggested in the article above. Tomact 4.0.3,
too.

Regards,

Simon

--
Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the
laws of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure