We have figured this out, although for the life of me I can't understand
   why. We had been running with java -server -Xms128m -Xmx256m -Xincgc
and saw the VM climb way up to 2GB, then drop the tomcat process.

By removing the -server flag, everything is fine. I realise this means
that the JVM is defaulting to 'client'... so I guess is anyone aware of
memory holes in the 1.3.1 JVM on linux? I've dug around deja &c and seen
  a few references to this suspicion but nothing concrete.

I'm going to start working on Tomcat 4 and jdk1.4.0 in my lab this
morning, hopefully the problem is fixed in 1.4.0!

Thanks for all the responses!