Let me first set up my situation.  On my server, I
have two webapps running, webapp A and webapp B.
Webapp A uses JDBC Thin driver to contact an Oracle
database at remote location 1.  Webapp B uses JDBC
Thin driver to contact an Oracle database at remote
location 2.

If the internet connection at remote location 1 goes
down, the attempt to connect to that database has the
expected result of a connection to that IP in the
SYN_SENT state in the netstat output on the server.

While this connection is in the SYN_SENT state, any
requests to webapp B that need to call the other
database at location 2 which is still up and running
are put on hold.  Visitors to that site are left
staring at a blank screen until the first connection
from webapp A to location 1 times out.

Seeing as how these are 2 seperate webapps connecting
to 2 seperate remote locations, I did not expect the
behavior to occur in a fashion where one will block
the other.  The behavior I expected was that they
would operate independantly of each other, and webapp
B would continue to work at a normal pace no matter
what is occurring with webapp A.  Am I looking at this
wrong?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.