One note I forgot to mention about the OCI driver:

You must set your ORACLE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH vars!!!
In my server.sh I have these lines:

ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/product/817
export ORACLE_HOME
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

If you do all that and you can do a tnsping, everything *should* work.

-James