From: Milt Epstein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 12:42 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Apache Tomcat integration-please help

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  I am having a problem getting apache tomcat running using mod_webapp.so
>  I am using:
>   linux redhat 7.3
>   jdk1.4
>   apache 1.3.26
>   tomcat 4.0.4
>  I got apache 1.3.26 compiled and installed with enable-module=so option
it
>  starts and stops fine
>  I got tomcat 4.0.4, installed it  and it starts and stops fine, the
>  examples work etc etc
>  I got jakarta-tomcat-connectors using CVS, and followed the instructions
>  to compile mod_webapp.so.  It compiled and I placed it in
>  $APACHE_HOME/libexec/
>  I added the following lines to httpd.conf:
>  LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
>  AddModule mod_webapp.c
>  WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8080
>  WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples
>
>  I started tomcat no problem.  When I start apache i get:
>  yntax error on line 984 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
>  Invalid virtual host name
>  /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>  line 984 refers to this line:
>  WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples
>
>  I am stumped some help please?

This is my understanding of WebAppConnection and WebAppDeploy
(corrections welcome :-):

The second argument to the WebAppDeploy directive (here conn) must be
a defined connection per a WebAppConnection directive (the first
argument of WebAppConnection specifies the connection).  That is,

WebAppConnection connection protocol host:port

defines a connection -- named connection, using protocol (warp is the
only possibility currently, I believe), available at host:port -- and

WebAppDeploy context connection url-prefix

indicates that URLs that begin with url-prefix belong to context and
should be passed to connection.

Anyway, although you should understand at least the basics of the
above, the gist of it is you should change "conn" to "warpConnection".

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]