On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Alan Shiers wrote:

> Does a servlet name always have to start with an uppercase letter?

A java class name usually starts with uppercase. I don't know if it has
to. Try if you're intrested. You can use different url-patterns.

> The reason I wrote the URL like this:
> http://localhost:8080/mytest/servlet/sqlnames
>
> is only because of how I wrote the web.xml file which looks like this:

> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd";>
>
> <web-app>
>
>     <servlet>
>
>         <servlet-name>
>
>               sqlnames
>
>         </servlet-name>
>
>         <servlet-class>
>
>             MySQLNamesTest
>
>         </servlet-class>
>    </servlet>

<!-- I think all servlet-tags must come first and then servlet-mapping. -->

     <servlet-mapping>
          <servlet-name>
                sqlnames
          </servlet-name>
          <url-pattern>
                /sqlnames
          </url-pattern>
     </servlet-mapping>

> </web-app>
>
> Maybe I need to change this somehow?
>
> Please advise,
>
> Alan
>
> Markus Bengts wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Alan Shiers wrote:
> >
> > > was able to set a context for a new webapp in server.xml and I'm able to
> > > navigate with Netscape to the web app with
> > > http://localhost:8080/mytest/index.html
> > >
> > > That part works just fine.  I have a simple servlet sitting in my
> > > WEB-INF directory and my index.html file has a link in it that is
> > > supposed to launch the servlet:
> > > http://localhost:8080/mytest/servlet/sqlnames
> >
> > If the file Sqlnames.class is in WEB-INF/classes, then the url should be:
> > http://localhost:8080/mytest/servlet/Sqlnames
> >                                      ^
> >
> > > However, every time I try to click on the link, Netscape opens its
> > > SaveAs dialog box.
> >
> > Does the servlet return text/html? Like this:
> >
> > response.setContentType("text/html");

       Markus