I worked on deploying my first webapp to another server today.  I packaged
it up as a war, transferred it to the other tomcat server, added the one
line context element in the server.xml, and restarted.  Nothing - the logs
said that the webapp that was referenced by the context statement was not
available or in a readable format.  In fact, the war did not expand into
the file system.

So, I removed the context element, and restarted.  With the context gone,
the WAR expanded properly.  Then I added the context back in, and it worked
fine.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Paul Phillips

PS - the context element in the server.xml is just there to pass in a
parameter containing the location of a data directory.