On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:38:57 -0700 (PDT), "Craig R. McClanahan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> this should work:
>     jar:file:d:\Projects/<myapp>/crossbar.war!/

I tried
WAR URL: "jar:file:C:\Projects/Crossbar/dist/crossbar.war!/" and got
Message: FAIL - Encountered exception java.net.MalformedURLException:
no protocol
and tried
WAR URL: "file:C:\Projects/Crossbar/dist/crossbar.war!/" and got
Message: FAIL - Encountered exception java.net.MalformedURLException:
no protocol:
and tried
WAR URL: "C:\Projects/Crossbar/dist/crossbar.war!/"
Message: FAIL - Invalid application URL
C:\Projects/Crossbar/dist/crossbar.war!/ was specified

When I use the "ant install" target I see (in my Tomcat log file):
"Manager: install: Installing web application at '/crossbar' from
'file://C:\Projects\Crossbar/build'"
but variations on that don't work either.

The docs at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html
say "The supported syntax for a URL referring to a WAR file is
described on the Javadocs page for the java.net.JarURLConnection class"
but the javadoc only gives examples for "http" not "file" protocol.

> Is there a reason you're creating a WAR instead of just deploying a
> directory directly (like the example build.xml file does)?

I want to give simple instructions for a user to download and deploy my
app, like:
"Download the war file. Use the TC W.A.M. to install the war file from
your downloads directory."

(I can go back to saying "copy the war file to <tomcat>/webapps and
restart TC" but I still want to know how I'm supposed to use the TC
W.A.M.!).

> > Also, what is the field "Config URL:" ?
> Where do you see this term being used?

In the TC W.A.M. at
http://localhost:8080/manager/html/install/
in the table row below "Install" there are
three text input fields:

--
  Daniel
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]