On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Mark Schmeets wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:54:04 -0400
> From: Mark Schmeets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: j_username in session cookie - where did it go?
>
> whoa, that seems like a very oversimplified answer. Some of us require
> security at the data level too. A "solution" like that makes Tomcat's
> authentication useless in that situation...

If you base your data security on the fact that the container has already
authenticated the user (and if you trust the container), why do you need
the password again?  You already know who the user is, and you can find
out if he/she has a particular role used to protect the data you are
checking for access rights to.

> Mark

Craig