Consider draping a DAO around your persistence.
This way you can replace EJB with JDO or RowSet, should you need to
Ex DAO interface:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/basicportal/src_05d/basicPortal/src/org/apache/commons/DAO/BasicDAO.java?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I found a RowSet implementation of DAO works better than EJB.

v.