Steve,

I'm not sure the syntax of JAVA_HOME=j2sdk* is correct. I'm not sure what
effect that's going to have, if any. I don't like setting up env variables
like that globally b/c they're subject to change and an old one can get
you hours of frustration during a new install while you overlook it.

One quick and dirty way to make sure it is set properly is to put it in
your catalina.bat or tomcat.bat (whichever version of Tomcat you're
running)

one of my Windows Tomcat instances has this in tomcat.bat, right after the
header 'rem' statements

rem ----- Save Environment Variables That May Change -------------------

set _TOMCAT_HOME=%TOMCAT_HOME%
set _TOMCAT_INSTALL=%TOMCAT_INSTALL%
set _CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%

set TOMCAT_HOME=c:\opt\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1
set JAVA_HOME=c:\opt\java\sdk\jdk1.4.0

(or whatever is appropriate for your installation directory. It should be
the directory containing the bin\ jre\ lib\ include\ demo\)

Regards,
Michael