I've never seen that error before, but unless you have a specific need for
4.0.3 and JDK 1.2.2, my advice would be to upgrade both Tomcat and your JDK,
and don't use the RPMs (all due respect to the creator of the RPM).

tomcat: 4.0.4, binary not RPM
JDK: 1.3.1 or 1.4.0

The binary install of Tomcat is absolutely painless, there's really no need
at all for an RPM.

John