Whew...you're root on this box?  This is basic sys-admin stuff.

Most people run Apache as a service on startup.  If you take my comments
literally, you might delete the apache directory tree without deleting the
startup call to Apache.  Then, the next time you reboot, you will get error
messages about not being able to find Apache, etc and the Apache you DO want
to start may not start.

So, I guess if I have to be absolutely literal, the Apache uninstall
procedure might be something like this, assuming you want to uninstall
Apache 1 and leave Apache 2 alone:

- make sure there are no startup scripts calling Apache 1.  By "startup" I
mean in /etc/rc.d/* or anywhere else, not the Apache 1 startup scripts in
APACHE1_HOME/bin.

- make sure you stop Apache 1 with APACHE1_HOME/bin/apachectl stop

- delete Apache 1 dir tree

Note that you DON'T have to delete ANYTHING if you don't want to.  You can
have Apache 1 and Apache 2 installed on your system, as long as you don't
try to run BOTH on port 80.  But if you WERE going to DELETE something, you
would want to make sure that something else wasn't trying to call it at a
later date (like a startup script in /etc/rc.d/*).

John