Sure I can list some advantages :

1) Apache is faster & better when serving static content such as images
2) You get more error handling ability with apache (ie, when tomcat goes
down for releases, etc, Apache gets a 500 error and can display a polite
notice rather than nasty error pages)
3) You get all the other stuff that apache does: userdir, modspeling, cgi,
ssi etc etc etc
4) https.  i don't know if any certificate signing authorities do certs for
java/tomcat (probably) but its very easy for mod_ssl or apache-ssl.
6) you can (theoretically) do sticky load balancing with mod_jk across
multiple tomcat instances.

Neither do i disapprove that apache+tomcat make a good combination, but
tomcat stand alone is also stable.

> If Apache was "just serving static pages" you could write it in a lot
> smaller package, like this webserver:
> http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/
> or this one for HTTPS:
> http://www.acme.com/software/mini_httpd/ (which,
> according to benchmarks, runs at about 90% Apache speed).
>
> My point is that it's not just about serving static pages when you use
> Apache, there are lots of other reasons to choose Apache +
> Tomcat as opposed
> to Tomcat alone.
>
> John Turner
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]