First, let me say that it wasn't my doing.  I came into the picture after
the fact.  Others much more adept than I were responsible for setting up the
first few instances, after that it was just a matter of replicating what
they had done and maintaining the status quo.  It sounds complex and messy,
but its pretty clean and versatile once all the pieces are in place.

Second, this is with an older version of Tomcat (3.1), so there's no
guarantee that the same scenario would apply to recent versions, though I
can't see why it wouldn't.

Basically, it comes down to having a server.xml for each instance, like
server-one.xml, server-two.xml, etc. and a startup script for each instance.
I suppose you could have a single startup.sh, and just pass arguments to it,
but it makes things a little easier if you just copy the startup script and
make your changes.  For example, startup-one.sh, startup-two.sh, etc.

After that, it's just a matter of keeping the ports straight so there is no
conflict, making sure the correct classpath is set for each instance, and
making sure each instance has a dedicated work area with sufficient
permissions.  All Tomcat instances are running under the same username.

There was a post yesterday that mentioned something not honoring the "port"
attribute in server.xml, so perhaps this sort of setup isn't usable with
newer versions.  There also might be some tweaking required with
mod_jk...the instances I have running are using mod_jserv, so the
configuration is a little different.

It's a very similar setup to using Tomcat for loadbalancing.  The example at
http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat has two distinct Tomcats on one machine, each
listening for requests on different ports.  The difference between the
config here and a loadbalancing config is that in my case, each of the
Tomcats is treated individually, they don't work together.

With this config, I am able to stop and start a specific Tomcat instance
without effecting any of the others.  Stopping Apache, on the other hand,
stops everyone.  Which, under certain circumstances, can be a good thing,
since I can stop everyone without having to stop every Tomcat if I need to.
The downside is that a problem with Apache is a problem for everyone.

John