I think this might be an issue if the server in question is doing
"everything", that is, acting as a web server, directory server, etc.
However, in my experience, most places don't set things up like that...the
web server is only the web server, directory services are on a separate
server, etc.

In any case, I shut down IIS all the time on my Windows boxes (security),
even if I'm not working with Apache.  Again, though, these machines where
IIS is not running are not responsible for intranet server duties, they're
just development desktops.

I would think running Tomcat stand-alone on port 80 on a Windows machine
would be highly undesirable, but that's me.  There's a whole cadre of VB
developers and server gurus here, I will pose the question to them and see
what they say.

John