The reason was license restrictions on the redistribution of the
libraries. Someone from the team can speak more authoritatively on
this, but basically, the security extensions (JSSE, et al.) are
strictly export controlled, so just packaging them in with Tomcat
wasn't possible, even though they could be freely downloaded from Sun.

And I think I spoke in haste, (and under the influence of the pain
killers they gave me for my wisdom tooth extraction today. Ouch!) It
was 3.x that you needed to recompile yourself. Starting with Tomcat 4,
you needed to install the JSSE library, but the binary is smart enough
not to break if it's missing.

Hmm... Sorry about the confusion. In any case, I assure you SSL works.
I use it with Tomcat 4.0 and 4.1, and I used it with 3.2 and 3.3 before
that (where I had to recompile it myself.) What errors are you getting?

-Ian