Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help this... I am on an NT box with
Tomcat 4.1.12.  My problem is that I am having trouble deploying
servlets in Tomcat. Worse, I seem to go through this each time I upgrade
to a new version of Tomcat.  Friday night I upgraded to version 4.1.12.
Each time I upgrade I have problems getting simple servlets to execute -
after a couple of hours of monkeying around my servlets suddenly ststart
working.  I think I'm repeating the same steps over and over so I don't
understand what I'm doing wrong and what I did right to make things
work.  Which is frustrating because it means I'm not learning from the
process. Please note, I can get the Tomcat servlet examples to execute
so I'm pretty confident I have a good installation.  If I copy one of
the examples, say "HelloWorldExample" to one of my directories it no
longer works.

Here are the steps I am following to deploy a simple "Hello World" servlet::

1)  In webapps I create a directory named "hello".
2)  In "hello"  I create the "WEB-INF" directory.
3)  Inside the "WEB-INF" directory I place "web.xml".   (I'm not sure I
need to do this...)
4)  I also add "classes" and "lib" directories under "WEB-INF".
5)  Under classes I create a directory name "hello".
6)  In "hello"  I place the my servlet "hello.HelloMike.class".  The
name of the servlet is "HelloMike" and it resides in package "hello".
7)  I start Tomcat and attempt to browse to the servlet with the
following url "http://localhost:8080/hello/servlet/hello.HelloMike";
8)  The browser returns the following:

HTTP Status 404 - /hello/servlet/hello.HelloMike
*type* Status report
*message* _/hello/servlet/hello.HelloMike_
*description* _The requested resource (/hello/servlet/hello.HelloMike)
is not available._
Apache Tomcat/4.1.12

I'm really mystifyied as to what I am doing wrong and would greatly
appreciate all insights and suggestions offerred.

Many thanks,
Mike