Hi Jacob and thanks for your response.

I tried your suggestion regarding servlet mapping and it helped - I can
now execute servlets in the default package but I get the same message
when try to access a servlet that is not in the default package....oh
yes Tomcat is shutdown while I deploy my servlets..

As to a your point about buying some books etc.,...I will be the first
to agree with you that I don't know everything about Tomcat, but I want
to point out that I have spent a lot of time reading about servlets and
Tomcat from a vareity of sources.  Some books I have read include Jason
Hunter's Java Servlets (unfortunately, the first edition), James
Goodwill's Apache Jakarta-Tomcat from Apress (very recent),  David
Harms, JSP, Servlets, and MySQL, and Marty  Hall's Servlets and
JavaServer Pages.  So please be assured this is not a case of just
firing off a question to the list without doing some research first.

I agree with you that this is pretty basic stuff - and the books I
mentioned seem to outline it pretty well, but all the examples deploy
to webapps/ROOT which is not what I am trying to do.  Even so, this is
pretty straight forward stuff  which is why it surprises and frustrates
me when something so simple becomes a road block.  So I posted my
question in hopes that someone would point out what I was doing wrong.

Lastly, do you know the in which version the default invoker was
changed, because I don't recall having to change conf/web.xml before.

Again, thanks for your help,
Mike