From: "camccuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 8:08 AM

> Does anyone have any experience with using Dan Bernstein's daemontools to
> supervise Tomcat? I've had real trouble getting this to work with either
> startup.sh or catalina.sh but I'm putting this down to the fact that I'm
no
> genius with unix processes...

I don't really understand what the issue is here, but I plead ignorance in
that I haven't worked with the DJB tools in a while.

But, as I recall, the tools simply execute the program using the (by
default) 'run' script. When run exits, for whatever reason, the tools fire
it back up.

Now the tomcat startup scripts fire the java process off in the background,
but as I recall there is an option to NOT do that, and simply have tomcat.sh
stay in the foreground.

It seems to me that a few simple tweaks to tomcat.sh, linked to 'run' in the
"proper spot", and it should Just Work.

Lemme look.

"This man has a bad heart. Angina Pectoris, but we have the cure...Yes. Here
they are..."

Yes, here it is, just start catalina.sh with the "run" option, and it
doesn't fork into the background.

#!/bin/sh
# daemontools run script for Tomcat
cd /usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin
# start tomcat in the foreground, redirect stderr to stdout for logging.
exec ./catalina.sh run 2>&1

Copy or link this script to /services/tomcat/run, and it should fire right
up. Untested, but it should work.

Multilog should work with this as well, as the 'run' option doesn't redirect
stdout or stderr, whereas the (default) 'start' option does. Since multilog
only listens to stdin, the script redirects stderr to stdout so it can be
captured as well. You need to setup the log directory properly, as mentioned
in DJBs faq.

The key is to keep the java process in the foreground for the 'run' script.
supervise puts it in the background for you, so that's why the run script
doesn't need to.

Regards,

Will Hartung
([EMAIL PROTECTED])