Mr. Cristian Romanescu wrote:
Hi,
I'm not sure if this would help, but maybe you should try setting CATALINA_HOME, since new releases of Tomcat.
also you might want to run "catalina.sh run".....

Bye!

He, JianBo wrote:

Hi,
I installed J2SDK V1.4 and tomcat on Compaq Tru64UNIX v5.1 successful, set TOMCAT_HOME and JAVA_HOME variable to proper directory, but failed to startup with startup.sh, there is no corresponding process running and also, no explicit error apears. Only in output log, it recorded:

# more catalina.out

usage: java org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina [ -config {pathname} ] [ -debug
] [ -nonaming ] { start | stop }
usage: java org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina [ -config {pathname} ] [ -debug
] [ -nonaming ] { start | stop }
The problem lies in Tru64's shell. It is mangling parameters in a way different from other incarnations. This is my startup (which still doesn't work on boot-up, but neither does AMaViS, Cyrus and other servers).

startup.sh
----------
PRGDIR=`dirname "$PRG"`
EXECUTABLE=catalina.sh

# Check that target executable exists
if [ ! -x "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" ]; then
echo "Cannot find $PRGDIR/$EXECUTABLE"
echo "This file is needed to run this program"
exit 1
fi

export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.03

exec "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" start -config ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml