We're running Apache 1.3 with Tomcat 3.2 in an application at work and have been seeing some strange behavior. What we've got is this: one of our servlets, when requested, opens a real-time "feed" that sends a neverending stream of data to the client. We basically hijack one of the Tomcat threads and never return from the service method. While this does appear to work (the client gets its data), we're also finding that Apache does not always let the mod_jk connection go when the client closes its connection to Apache asynchronously, so that the feed goes on and on even when no one is listening. Eventually there are serious resource issues.

My questions are these:

1. Is this expected behavior in mod_jk, that is, could it be that mod_jk is waiting for the servlet to exit its service method before letting go its connection to Tomcat, even though the client has long since closed its connection to Apache?

2. If it is expected behavior, is there a simple workaround? (We do send a second request to close the feed, although we can't count on this happening in the case of network failure.)

3. Are we totally out of our minds to be architecting a system this way?

Thanks.

David