On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Chris Parker wrote:

> > This came up a week or so ago.  Check here for a very
> > comprehensive reply from Milt Epstein.  In short, isSecure is
> > exactly the method you should use, and it does know if the
> > original request is SSL or not.  If it is always returning
> > 'false', something else is going on.
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=103608496529118&w=2
> >
> > John
>
> Thanks John, somehow I missed that reply - and thanks Milt for
> providing it.
>
> On my server SnoopServlet replies that isSecure() = false - even
> though it's true.  I thought this was a limitation of
> Apache->Tomcat, not a problem with my configuration.
>
> Now that I know I'm not looking for the impossible, I'll investigate
> and post when I have a solution...

Just a couple of things to add:

1. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that isSecure() (and
   getScheme()) should work correctly even with forwards/redirects as
   well.   Of course, if you found that isSecure() doesn't work with
   basic https, as apparently is the case above, the problem is not
   restricted to forwards/redirects.

2. Some other people reported this mis-behavior, and at least one
   person said/suggested that it's a bug with the Coyote AJP
   connector.  Which connector are you using?  If it's the Coyote AJP
   connector, that adds confirmation to this possibility.  I don't
   know that it's yet been fixed, or that there's a workaround, other
   than using the Ajp13Connector.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]