In the Application Developer  at the page noted below, I find information about the
behavior of a .war file.
http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/appdev/deployment.html
It says:
Copy the web application archive file into directory $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/. When
Tomcat is started, it will automatically expand the web application archive file into
its unpacked form, and execute the application that way. This approach would typically
be used to install an additional application, provided by a third party vendor or by
your internal development staff, into an existing Tomcat installation. NOTE - If you
use this approach, and wish to update your application later, you must both replace
the web application archive file AND delete the expanded directory that Tomcat
created, and then restart Tomcat, in order to reflect your changes.

My war file does not seem to expand automatically.

Has the behavior changed in 4.1.12 ?

What conditions might account for the failure of a war file built with ANT war task
to not expand?