That's pretty much the solution...this has come up before.

By the time JK gets involved, Apache is just about done with the URL...it
doesn't perform any rewriting, etc. it's just looking for a match.

The elegant solution is probably using mod_rewrite to rewrite requests
ending in "/" to "/index.jsp".

John