From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 20 November 2002 4:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: XML parser

Hi,
     In my effort to parse an XML file and pull out data from it's
elements where I may maninpulate them, I have downloaded the Xerces.ZIP
(which incidentally is 4.8 MB - expanded to 22!), extracted it to
webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/. Is this the correct location? If not, where
should it reside? Looking at the rest of the documentation I cannot
find
any syntax simple enough to what I want to do.
        What I want to do is (real simple now!), I have an XML file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<root>
        <a_tag>1st selection</a_tag>
        <a_tag>2nd selection</a_tag>
</root>

in a JSP I want to parse the file, iterate through it extracting the
element values. Perhaps storing them in a array.
        So I have 3 factors here, the one (desired) not present in this
email being the JSP syntax to parse and get hold of the data. Ie:

<%@ page language="java" %>

<%

parse and acquire contents of a_tag

%>

..</html>

I am obviously simplifying as much as possible here. Again, all input
apreciated.

Paul.

;-)

Yep and yep

For usage in Tomcat the process of "installation" is just as you say..
manually copy the jar file into either your webapps lib folder or into
the global lib folder so that all your different webapps can access it.
Generally it's advisable to copy it into your webapp's lib folder as
this makes your webapp deployable as a standalone application (ie: no
external dependencies).

<yep 2> the full download includes files documentation (yep, pretty much
the website docs but available offline), jar files and demos for a wide
range of applications. Mind you mine (2.2.0) is only 4.8 meg.. not 22 so
I can't say for sure that you haven't got hold of something extra as
well.

It's then a case of finding out what to do with the thing you've now got
access to.  To look into that further, have a look at the different
demos provided and see if they give you what you want.

If you find yourself still struggling a more specific question about
what you're trying to achieve and where it's going wrong may evoke a
more useful response.

G'luck.

Tref