Okay, I moved the JAR to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT and changed the code to:

URL jarURL = new URL("http://gizzard.dotech.com:8080/commons-cli-1.0.jar";);

And got as output:

URL of org.apache.commons.cli.ParseException:
jar:http://gizzard.dotech.com:8080/commons-cli-1.0.jar!/org/apache/commons/cli/ParseException.class

I don't see why it wouldn't work in general from any other external URL. Do you
need this to work across firewalls?

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>